The Open Mic Blog

On any given night in this country, people pack up an instrument, a lyric sheet, and a little bit of courage and head out to play in front of an open mic crowd. The idea behind this blog, or maybe it's mission statement if you will, is for me to go out once a week to a different open mic, give you a feel for the place and for the type of musician who's playing there. Heard about an open mic at a new club and wonder if it's any good? I'll see what I can do to give you an answer.


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The New Frontier Lounge

There seems to be no shortage of open mics in Tacoma on a Tuesday night.  I gave Doug Mackey a call to see if he wanted to come with me and we headed off to the New Frontier Lounge  (301 E. 25th Street, Tacoma) to see what they had going on down there.  The poster had said that the open mic was supposed to start at 8:30 but when we got there a little before 9 things were about as quiet as you can get.  I talked to the bartender who said the MC was home sick but that things were all set up and we could play any time.

Doug introduced me to James Hume and his friend Rob (of the Great Bear Coat) who had found a couple of stools at the bar. We chatted for a bit, then grabbed our beers and found a place to make camp.  The New Frontier is a great bar with a warm worn-in feel and a decent sound system.  When I've played this place with the band and when it's packed it can be one of the great places to play in T-town.  When it's empty like it was tonight, the place feels cavernous and dark.  Legal Eagles was playing on the big screen at the back of the stage, and I went up right after Daryl Hannah finished showing Robert Redford the performance-art piece she'd been working on.  The bartender turned it off for me and away I went.

I played a few songs, was bought a beer by a guy named Thomas Lawson, before handing the stage over to spoken word artist Joseph Baumgardner.  His rapid-fire approach brought to mind the auction hammer all rapid fire and twisted tongue.  A great piece about the rain in Tacoma stuck with me.  Then Thomas told a few jokes things got quiet again and it was time to move on.

How would I rate it?

On the positive side, there seemed almost no limit to the amount of songs you could play, but on the negative side, you'll be playing to an almost completely empty house...sorta like a big version of your living room but with a better PA system and a full liquor cabinet.  I've always liked the New Frontier, but it takes a lot people to give that space an intimate feel.  I'm just not sure they can get the bodies in there on a Tuesday to make than happen.  Of course if you've been avoiding playing out because you suffer from stage fright, this might be a good place to start.

Details:  Open mic is on Tuesday nights, starting between 8:30 and 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment